H. Matthew Quitkin, MD, MBA is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon, fellowship trained in hand and upper extremity surgery. Dr. Quitkin has been in the practice of hand and upper extremity surgery since 2000. He joined Access Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics in 2010 after 9 years at the MANUS Center for Orthopaedic Hand Surgery outside of Washington, D.C.
Dr. Quitkin currently serves as Director of the Hand Center at Access Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics. He is on the Board of Directors of the Northeast Surgery Center, a multispecialty ambulatory surgical center in Newington, New Hampshire, where he also serves as Medical Director.
Dr. Quitkin is an active member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and has made contributions to many distinguished publications on surgery of the hand and upper extremities. He specializes in both pediatric and adult upper extremity and hand surgery. His areas of expertise include trauma, congenital abnormalities, nerve, tendon and ligament disorders, arthritis, tumors, arthroscopy and reconstructive surgery.
In his free time, Dr. Quitkin enjoys running, skiing, cycling and traveling with his wife and three children.
- Medical Degree
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- Master of Business Administration
Johns Hopkins University, Washington, DC
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Magna Cum Laude
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery
George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Hand and Microvascular Surgery Fellowship, Robert E. Carroll Hand Fellow
Under Dr. Melvin P. Rosenwasser and Dr. Robert J. Strauch
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors list 2013-2017
- Best Clinical Pearl-Poster: The Efficacy of Silver Nitrate Cauterization in the Treatment of Pyogenic Granuloma; American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD October 2001
- Stanley Scholar Award, New York State Psychiatric Institute/Columbia University, July 1989-July 1991 (Research Fellowship)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Princeton University
- Sigma Xi, Princeton University
- Tennis and golfer’s elbow
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Small joint arthroscopy
- Tendon, nerve and ligament repair
- Fracture care
- Microvascular surgery
- Dupuytren’s disease
- Trigger finger
- DeQuervain’s disease
- Ganglion cysts
- Active Member, American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Fellow, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Class of 2006)
- Associate Member, New England Hand Society
- Su BW, Solomons M, Barrow A,. Senoge ME, Gilberti M, Lubbers L,
Diao E, Quitkin HM, Rosenwasser MP. Device for Zone-II Flexor Tendon Repair. A Multicenter, Randomized, Blinded, Clinical Trial. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am., 2005 May; 87: 923 – 935.
- Quitkin HM, Rosenwasser MP, Strauch RJ. The Efficacy of Silver Nitrate
Cauterization for Pyogenic Granuloma of the Hand. J Hand Surg [Am]. 2003 May;28(3):435-8.
- Quitkin HM, Rosenwasser MP. Malunion and Other Post Traumatic
Complications. In Hand Surgery, Berger RA, Weiss APC eds. Lippincott
Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia. 2004.
- Lewis N, Quitkin HM. Strength Analysis and Comparison of the Teno FixTM
Tendon Repair System With the 2-Strand Modified Kessler Repair in the
Achilles Tendon. Foot Ankle Int. 2003 Nov;24(11):857-60.
- Wey J, DiPasquale D, Levitt L, Quitkin H: Operative Treatment of Acetabular
Fractures Through the Extensile Henry Approach. J. Trauma 46 (2): 255-
- Rothschild R, Quitkin HM, Quitkin FM, Stewart JW, Ocepek-Welikson K, McGrathPJ, Tricamo E:A Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Comparison of
Phenelzine and Imipramine in the Treatment of Bulimia in Atypical
Depressives. International Journal of Eating Disorders 15 (1): 1-9, 1994.
- Malaspina D, Coleman EA, Quitkin M, Amador XF, Kaufmann CA, Gorman JM,
Sackeim HA: Effects of Pharmacologic Catecholamine Manipulation on
Smooth Pursuit Eye Movements in Normals. Schizophrenia Research 13
(2): 151-159, 1994.
- Malaspina D, Quitkin HM, Kaufmann CA: Epidemiology and Genetics of
Neuropsychiatric Disorders, In American Psychiatric Press Textbook of
Neuropsychiatry. Edited by Yudofsky SC, and Hales RE. Washington,
D.C., 1992, pp. 187-226.
- Su BW, Raia FJ, Quitkin HM, Parisien M, Strauch RJ, Rosenwasser MP. The
Gross and Histological Analysis of the Teno FixTM; A Novel Device for
Flexor Tendon Repair. American Society for Surgery of the Hand,
Phoenix, AZ October 2002.
- Quitkin HM, Strauch,RJ, Rosenwasser MP: The Efficacy of Silver Nitrate
Cauterization for Pyogenic Granulomoa of the Hand. American Society for
Surgery of the Hand, Baltimore, MD October, 2001 Poster Exhibit
Clinical Pearl Award.
- Raia, FJ, Quitkin, HM, Strauch, RJ, Rosenwasser MP: A Cadeveric Study of
Carpal Tunnel Volumes by MRI Before and After Carpal Tunnel Plasty.
American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Baltimore, MD
- Bolt P, Raia FJ, Quitkin HM, Sinicropi SM, Rosenwasser MP: Complex Humeral
Nonunions: A Review Of Eighteen Cases. American Society for Surgery of
the Hand, Baltimore, MD October, 2001.
- Quitkin HM, Raia FJ, Strauch RJ, Rosenwasser MP: Botulinum Toxin (BOTOX)
for the Prevention of Post Traumatic Elbow Stiffness. American Society for
Surgery of the Hand, Baltimore, MD October, 2001.