For athletes that participate in high-contact sports like football, soccer or lacrosse, ImPACT™ (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) should be the first step in preparing for the season.
Access Sports’ Concussion Clinic is proud to use ImPACT. Led by our Director of Concussion Management, Kevin D. Heaton, DO, we are able to perform concussion testing on pediatric and adult patients.
As the most widely used and most scientifically validated computerized concussion evaluation system available, it’s used in two ways:
- Baseline Testing: These tests are administered before the beginning of a sports season, employment period, school year or any other necessary activity. The idea here is to get a baseline score when there are no concussion symptoms present, so that physicians can determine a course of action should an injury occur.
- Post-Injury Testing: This test is administered when a concussion is suspected. Results from this test are compared to the baseline score as part of a physician’s assessment of injury.
Fast, easy, and accurate, the information gained from the tests provides trained clinicians with neurocognitive assessment tools as part of determining safe return-to-play or return-to-work plans of action.
If you are part of a school or organization in New Hampshire, Maine or Massachusetts and are interested in learning more or instituting ImPACT as part of a more comprehensive concussion program, please contact us for more details.
Sign Up for the Test
Disclaimer: In order to take the ImPACT Test, you must be a part of an established group that has prior agreement with Access Sports Medicine. Please contact us if you have questions about this.
Once you complete this baseline test, your results will be stored in our records. If you have a head injury or think you have a concussion any time after taking the test, make an appointment at Access Sports within 2-3 days. We will evaluate your injury and possibly repeat the ImPACT test at the clinic and compare the results with your baseline test results. This will help us manage your recovery from the concussion and effectively guide your return to play.
Notes Before Registering
This test is intended as baseline testing only for people who are currently symptom-free. If you need to be evaluated for a recent head injury, call the office directly at 603-775-7575 to make an appointment; we will perform the ImPACT test in the office if necessary.
- DO NOT take this test if you have recently sustained a head injury and/or are currently experiencing symptoms.
- Be sure that you have at least 30 minutes to take the test.
- We are able to interpret test results for ages 10 and up. Younger children should not take this test. For the pediatric ImPACT, contact our offices.
- Adult supervision is highly recommended for ages 10-17.
- Do not use a laptop computer unless you have an external mouse (touchpad controllers will not work).
- Remember that we will use this test to help treat you if you get a concussion, so take the test seriously and try your best.
- This is a difficult test; do not be discouraged by incorrect answers. Just continue to give your best effort.
- Occasionally, the results of a baseline test will return to us as being potentially “invalid.” This occurs in a small percentage of cases and may be due to multiple reasons, including not understanding the directions, not paying attention, a bad environment, feeling poorly at the time of the test, an underlying learning disability, etc. It does not necessarily indicate any physical abnormality. If this occurs with your baseline test, we will send you a letter with recommendations on how to proceed.
- Access provides baseline testing at no charge for Seacoast area communities and residents of Rockingham and Strafford counties in New Hampshire, York County in Maine and Amesbury, Salisbury and Newburyport in Massachusetts. We have also made special arrangements with specific groups outside of this area.
- Any athletes or patients requesting copies of their Baseline Test for any reason will be charged a $10 processing fee. This fee will be accepted as a donation which will be returned to area schools’ athletic programs. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 603-775-7575.